Wednesday, November 16, 2011

What Do You Say When Someone Dies?

    I decided to post my speech from Zeke's funeral.  I completely understand if it's too sad to watch, or if you hate my hair--seriously the latter is possible!
    If you're in the mood for something funny (one of my usual posts) please click here:

    Or, if you'd like to read an interview about me, go here:

    Please note . . . I think I had a ton of coffee AND a case of the sillies when I answered those questions.

    So, without further ado, here's my speech from Zeke's funeral.
 

If it's hard to hear, please read this excerpt from my book, "The Golden Sky"
    After I finished singing, I walked over to the podium and spoke. My notes sat right in front of me, but rather than looking at them, I spoke from my heart. "You know, when you're going to have a baby?" I asked the audience, imploring them to see my side of this case. "Even from the time you're a little girl, you imagine how your baby will be, and all the things you'll do with them. You'll read books to them, and love them with all your heart. I always wanted to teach my kids how to play music. It was really hard when we found out everything, because I couldn't do all the stuff I wanted to do with him. All those dreams crashed to the ground. I thought I lost my future, and kept asking, 'Where is my future going from here?'
    "I had so many dreams for Zeke, but he accomplished far more than I ever wished he could have. In his two and a half months I think he did more in people's lives than I've done in my twenty years. He just had such a special feeling around him. I love him with all my heart. He blessed me so much while I went through this experience. I've grown up, and I don't know why he picked us to come to, but I feel like the luckiest person in the world because he was here," I motioned to Zeke, "for the last two and a half months. They've been the best months of my life.
    "I remember before . . . I had expectations. And then, after he was born," silence lingered as everyone waited for me to continue, "man! It was a happy day if he pooped." Laughter fell, and the mood softened a bit. "I learned to appreciate the small things, not just the huge ones. Every little moment in life matters, because it's just short . . . like that sentence from 'Dust in the Wind,' 'I close my eyes and the moment is gone.' It is so fast, and I want to appreciate every minute. Every minute is so beautiful—even the hard times, and the good times—every moment is so amazing!"
    I looked at his little body, and then the ceiling. "Zeke, I want you to know I love you, and I'm so happy you came and were part of my life!"