Wednesday, November 16, 2011

What Do You Say When Someone Dies?

    I decided to post my speech from Zeke's funeral.  I completely understand if it's too sad to watch, or if you hate my hair--seriously the latter is possible!
    If you're in the mood for something funny (one of my usual posts) please click here:

    Or, if you'd like to read an interview about me, go here:

    Please note . . . I think I had a ton of coffee AND a case of the sillies when I answered those questions.

    So, without further ado, here's my speech from Zeke's funeral.
 

If it's hard to hear, please read this excerpt from my book, "The Golden Sky"
    After I finished singing, I walked over to the podium and spoke. My notes sat right in front of me, but rather than looking at them, I spoke from my heart. "You know, when you're going to have a baby?" I asked the audience, imploring them to see my side of this case. "Even from the time you're a little girl, you imagine how your baby will be, and all the things you'll do with them. You'll read books to them, and love them with all your heart. I always wanted to teach my kids how to play music. It was really hard when we found out everything, because I couldn't do all the stuff I wanted to do with him. All those dreams crashed to the ground. I thought I lost my future, and kept asking, 'Where is my future going from here?'
    "I had so many dreams for Zeke, but he accomplished far more than I ever wished he could have. In his two and a half months I think he did more in people's lives than I've done in my twenty years. He just had such a special feeling around him. I love him with all my heart. He blessed me so much while I went through this experience. I've grown up, and I don't know why he picked us to come to, but I feel like the luckiest person in the world because he was here," I motioned to Zeke, "for the last two and a half months. They've been the best months of my life.
    "I remember before . . . I had expectations. And then, after he was born," silence lingered as everyone waited for me to continue, "man! It was a happy day if he pooped." Laughter fell, and the mood softened a bit. "I learned to appreciate the small things, not just the huge ones. Every little moment in life matters, because it's just short . . . like that sentence from 'Dust in the Wind,' 'I close my eyes and the moment is gone.' It is so fast, and I want to appreciate every minute. Every minute is so beautiful—even the hard times, and the good times—every moment is so amazing!"
    I looked at his little body, and then the ceiling. "Zeke, I want you to know I love you, and I'm so happy you came and were part of my life!"



39 comments:

  1. Wow, I can't imagine how hard that was for you. Parents were never meant to speak at their children's eulogy...you're such a strong person.

    On a lighter note kudos to not having an "ugly" crying face. You looked very composed, I probably would have been spitting and snotting everywhere while sounding like Animal from Sesame Street...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really appreciate that you posted it, even if I am too big of a weenie to listen to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also WAY to early for me to start the day with puffy eyes from the ugly cry. I am humbled by your strength, and ability to convey such and important reminder at such a difficult time.

    (((HUGS)))

    -Juli

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true, life is nothing but a tiny moment, very touching speech too. And what? You don't like your hair back then?..haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your hair didn't look half as bad then as my face looks now after watching that! Back then you spoke of how many people Zeke influenced. Did you even imagine that 10 years later, he would be touching even more people on a global scale? It is just so awe inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! Nothing looks worse than that hair. ;)
    I freaked out when Zeke was in the hospital. My hair was long and blonde. I guess maybe I thought everything would change if I looked like a different person, or pretended to be a different person. Why I chose Ronald McDonald, I'll never know.

    It's pretty wild, everything that's happened. I feel really blessed. I've received so many supportive e-mails in the last week--I can hardly believe it. It's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this famous guy has done worse things to his hair.

    Just saying. :oP

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joshua,
    Good point LOL! I wonder what his excuse was.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Elisa,

    Your posting today shows the great inner strength you have. It reminds me of the ending of a poem by Anne Morrow Lindbergh. The following lines are from "Bare Tree."

    Bow through he, Life, pared down at last to bone,
    So fragile and so fearless have I grown.

    Peace, Elisa. Today and always.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful post. I apologize for being too much of a wimp to watch your tape, but your words are so beautiful. Thank you for sharing your story and your special angel with us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you know how strong and wonderful you are. Because you are. Zeke is lucky he has a mommy like you, telling his story...and we are lucky to know him through you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are always full of such stregnth! I admire your ability to overcome something so awful and then use it to help others.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness, I felt like I was right there with you, listening to every word. So heartfelt and tender. Thank you for sharing this, Elisa.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Also, How do you link your blog to your tweets? I've been wanting to reach out via twitter to the IVF, Infertility, TTC community, but I just don't know how!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely post. You are such a strong person. I hope for this week to be extra special for you. Surround yourself with the same love and kindness that you've given to all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Elisa,

    So sorry to have mistyped the poem from Lindbergh today.
    The actual lines are as follows:

    Blow through me, Life, pared down at last to bone,
    So fragile and so fearless have I grown.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just watched your speech.

    Your enormous love for him must be what gave you the strength to get through it. Big hugs to you my young friend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Every moment IS precious! Your eulogy really drove that home. Thanks, Elisa

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful. You are amazing.
    Dewey would be 23 today; she was 8 when we lost her. She was only our niece & goddaugher, but I know how we felt & feel.
    You are amazing, beautiful, and a blessing to all you touch.
    Thank you. XO

    ReplyDelete
  20. You're right, that was extremely sad, but so so beautiful...:)You're such a strong lady, and I'm proud and happy to know you.

    On another note..girl, what was up with your hair?...LOL ROnald McDonald..hahahahahahahahahahaha I only laugh because I've made so many um..hair faux pauxs it's not even funny..LOL

    ReplyDelete
  21. That was very touching, you were so brave to do that. X

    ReplyDelete
  22. Like Tonj &, Kathy, I was too much of a wimp to watch the whole eulogy. After I dried my eyes & composed myself, I read the text. And dried my eyes again.

    As PCP said, it is wonderful that you have decided to share Zeke's story. I'm sure hundreds (if not thousands) of people will read this heartfelt journal. ONLY 2 MORE DAYS!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So first of all kick ass hair. Second this was hard to read and watch. Third you killing me smalls. Why do you have to make me cry EVERY DAY THIS WEEK!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is beautiful and so are you.
    (and the hair makes you look all cute and Molly Ringwaldy at least I think so :) )
    I really love this post because I love how when I read this I see you as having such inspirational strength like to recognize how in two and a half months he did more to touch people's lives than you say you did in 20 years. I think together his beautiful spirit and yours and all of this will touch more lives than anyone could imagine.
    love to you and your beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just lost my comment. Let me try to remember what I wrote. The video is moving and heart wrenching. You are beautiful and sweet and your words are so powerful. You are right about how each moment is special and life is so short. And now that your book is out, you will minister to others who are suffering, through your own experience. I'm sure Zeke, you baby angel is so proud of his mommy.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I had to read it, and even then it made me cry. Beautiful tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love your blog!! Can't wait til school is over for the holidays so I can read the book!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your hair is fine! I'm sorry to be a wimp too, but I can't watch it. It just gets me.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Very touching and emotional! Cannot wait to read the book!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your speech was beautiful. Congratulations on your book and I am wishing you great success. Baby Zeke is in Heaven smiling down on you. I wrote my post and just published it so it is ready to go for you. Thanks again for the opportunity.xoxo Lisa

    My Blogfest post

    ReplyDelete
  31. Watched your speech and it was very moving. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks for inspiring us Elisa. I'll try not to let moments go without realizing their significance.

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a moving speech. I'm sure it was hard to share. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  34. A very moving video, but the hair *was* distracting ;)

    ReplyDelete
  35. We pray for the family that they will have peace with the passing of a love one an are now with the Lord

    ReplyDelete