Monday, November 14, 2011

The Golden Goose OF DOOM

    Every night I read Aesop's Fables to my kids.  Last week we read about the golden goose.  So, I normally love those stories, but geese . . . well, here's my opinion on geese . . .


    This is a fantasy:
Photobucket


    This snarling gem is the reality:
Photobucket


    This is fiction:
Photobucket


    This is reality:
Photobucket
  
  
This clothed goose is . . . pleasant:
Photobucket


    This is epic:
Photobucket


This reminds me of my brother:
Photobucket
  
And this is reality:
Photobucket



    But back to the point.  We read about how a normal-looking goose would have golden eggs.
Photobucket


    "But the owners got so greedy," I read, "that they decided to cut the goose open and see if it was golden on the inside too."
    "That was a bad idea," the Scribe said.  "Even if it was gold inside, it wouldn't be able to poop eggs anymore."
    "Poop eggs?"
    "Yeah," the Hippie agreed.  "That isn't very smart."
    "So, the owners cut the goose open and discovered it was just like any other goose on the inside."  I shut the book and turned to my girls.  "What's the moral of this one?" I asked.
    "That you should appreciate what you have," the Scribe said.
    "And that if you always try to get more, it can ruin everything," the Hippie said.
    "You're right.  Greed can ruin almost everything in one way or another."
   "Are these stories all true?" the Hippie asked.
    "They're made up, but they teach good things."
    So, a day passed, and when the girls came home from school, the Scribe couldn't stop talking.  "I want a boyfriend.  You let me play with girls, but I want to play with a boy too.  I really like him, Mom.  I really do!"
    "That's great, but I said 'no,' Honey."
    "But Mom!"
     "No.  And if you keep asking me, then I'll ground you from playing with anyone.  That's a lonely way to go, but the choice is yours."
    The Hippie's eyes lit up like Christmas.  I couldn't figure out why she was so excited.  Her sister faced being grounded and the Hippie actually looked proud.  
    "Oh . . . my gosh," she said.
   "What are you smiling about?" I asked the Hippie.   She stayed gawking at the Scribe, then turned to me.  
    "This is just like that time with the golden goose.  It's happening to us . . . right now.  The story was true!  The Scribe's trying to cut the goose open, but if she does, she'll lose everything!"  She looked at her sister.  "Scribe, please don't do this . . . remember the goose."
    It hit me so funny--maybe since it's the first time I've liked geese.  
    The Scribe did quit complaining after that, and later in the day, the girls clung to every word I read.
   "These fables are amazing," the Hippie said.
   "Yeah," the Scribe agreed. "They even help you stay out of trouble!"

25 comments:

  1. Looks like good ol' Aesop is working! Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I plan to rely heavily on fables and fairy tales to teach life's lessons to the kids...LOL You're right though, geese can be sooo evil. We have a bunch here, and they're always on the war path...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Elisa, I can't stop laughing. Thank you! Keep reading those fables, they work better it seems than all those books on how to teach good behavior to children! Oh, I can't stop laughing!

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so freaking funny! I too often wonder about the types of stories they were telling kids back in the day. Even the first Disney movies should have been rated for horror. Sleeping Beauty gave my daughter nightmares when Malificent became the dragon and blew fire on everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAHAHAHAHA...oh my goosenes that was hysterical...I can't even stop laughing...that's the best way I've ever heard that moral explained in the real world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The way I see it, this story has TWO morals:

    #1--Duckies are better than geese--especially it they're fishduckies.

    #2--Never try to goose a fishducky!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's cute. But geese ARE still evil.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well damn it! Guess I should have read more of those to my kids when they were little. To late now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that the fable had such an impact. Read them more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely priceless!!!! So enjoyed reading that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey if they give golden eggs they aren't that evil..haha...fables really can teach lessons, nice they can help with disciplining too..haha too funny

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOLOLLOL, why is it that everytime that I veiw your blog that I burst out laughing, and in the end I start crying, ohhhh man I wish I had been there! Your house is way more fun than mine!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Every house should have a Hippie and a Scribe in it!
    And Fishducky! Woman, you are on fire today with your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haha - love it! It's always interesting how kids interpret things like Aesop's fables. They have such a different outlook on life than we adults do. I often prefer their outlook :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL @ the one that reminds you of my brother. My brother makes the same face when he's confused. Then again, so does my dog. Boys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would SO LOVE to hang out with your kids!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I never thought about how misleading Mother Goose's image is. You're so right because real geese are mean. And this post is hilarious and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!! this is friggin hilarious xDD Man, I love your kids, they are just precious xD You write so well too x)

    (Reply to previous comment)
    @Elisabeth: your husband sounds so cool!!! And yeah it makes a lot of sense, newtons law: every action has an equal and opposite reaction xD what were You talking about exactly?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the golden goose story. the smart thing to do would have been probe the goose's butt, not cut it open...but I guess when you're greedy you don't really think. There really is a lesson to be learned in every story...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hate most birds, but I am terribly afraid of geese.

    Once when I was five my dad came to get us at the babysitter's and seeing him through the window I flung open the door and ran out to him. That's when the goose jumped on my back, pushed me face down in the driveway and started pecking the back of my neck and my head. Terrifying.

    We could be friends in the real world. I just know it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just headed over here from Dee's blog where you had a story to share. I loved it so much, and I enjoyed reading about the geese so much I had to start following you. Thank you for sharing all this with those of us fortunate to have found you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am impressed that you read Aesop's Fables daily. We are stuck in the dregs of Scooby Doo and Max and Ruby.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your girls are wise enough to learn from anything! What a riot!
    The photos were great--you obviously have had some run-ins with your own crazy geese.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great stories. I need to locate some Fables to read to my son..have not read him Fables yet.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Greetings! I've been reading your weblog for a long time now and finally got the courage
    to go ahead and give you a shout out from Kingwood Texas! Just
    wanted to mention keep up the fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete