Thursday, November 10, 2011

An Unexpected Surprise--Warrior Elf

    I thought I was being witty.  My brother and I sat at the table.  Our mother had just given us each some water and I wanted to prove how cool I was--at the age of fifteen.
    "When I look at this half full glass, I don't see it optimistically or pessimistically.  I simply see what is.  I'm a realist.  This . . . is a glass of water . . . and it's half full."  I smirked at my brother; surely he'd be scared to play Scrabble with me AFTER THAT since I knew big words and I was a realist!
    Shane just looked at me.  "That was weird.  Plus, you're lying.  If there has ever been an optimist living on this Earth, it's you, Elisa."
    "Is not!" I said.  Then, I didn't want him seeing how mad he'd made me, so I quickly slapped a smile on my face and turned to him.  "But I guess maybe there is a bright side to that.  You must think I'm awfully happy."
    "See," he smirked, "you are an optimist.  I called you out on your crap, and you're still seeing the bright side.  Nice!"

    Maybe my brother was right.  I guess that's what I realized last night as I went through Zeke's box.  I haven't been through his pictures in years.  I think I did find some amazing things to share with you on 11/18--the release of "The Golden Sky."   
    As I went through his box, I found my two journals (filled with emotion), piles of papers, napkins, paper place mats, everything I'd written on when Zeke was in the hospital and after he died.  
    Here's a picture of the main journal I wrote in, as well as the mass of papers I wrote on when I'd been desperate leaving my journal at home.
Photobucket

Photobucket

    It's crazy what I wrote down and how I described my feelings.  I was, after all, only nineteen.  Maybe it's a good thing that youth brings honesty, at least it did for me.
    I had so much material to use from my journaling efforts, I couldn't use it all in "The Golden Sky."  As I went through my own writing yesterday, I found one of the many entries I didn't put in my book, and I think you might find it interesting.  That's for tomorrow though, today, I need to share something else I found in Zeke's box.
    First, let me tell you how handsome my husband is--I know everyone says that about their husband, but I'm really into mine.  I guess that's what happens when you marry a hunk.
    Here's a picture.
Photobucket
    
    I had to share that with you because yesterday, as a friend helped me go through Zeke's box, I was almost in tears.  I just couldn't forget how his little hand would hold my finger, or how cute he'd been.  Well, as I thought all of that, I came upon this picture--IN ZEKE'S BOX!  I suddenly laughed so hard I couldn't help it.  My father-in-law made it at my request--he did an excellent job.  It was nine years ago though, and we've grown up so much since then. 
    Anyway, the thought of the picture being in Zeke's box.  I don't know why it hit me so funny, but it did.
    So, in closing, I'd like to ask you, what do you think?  Isn't he sexy as an . . . elf/warrior prince?  I should be careful posting this--who knows, it might go viral.

Photobucket

    P. S. And I wonder why Cade wants to help my brother with the blog war . . .

    Oh, and my memoir "The Golden Sky" comes out in 8 days!  Holy cow--I remember when it was over 100.



19 comments:

  1. hahaha I wonder why? You better watch out on the payback side of things..hahaha.....looks like it belongs on the cover of an album or for a movie poster, although for a movie poster it make the movie seem awfully ummm strange..haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. No good can come out of Cade helping your brother! Yikes!!! Unless he's a double agent!
    That photo belongs on an anime love story!
    Counting down days with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you found my blog so that I could find yours!

    We lost our daughter 6 months ago. My blog and writing was born out of the pain. Someday, when I'm able, I will publish my more personal writings in the hope that it will help others.

    I can't wait to read your book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok first picture is his typical Johnny Depp look but that second one? Wth? lol I have to say it is now burned into my retina's. Still giggling. Oh yeah and giggling some more. Your book is awesome and people are going to love it. I'm so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is it wrong that I'm hoping Cade finds some horribly embarrassing pictures for Shane to post?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I personally think he's sexier as the warrior elf man. seriously. I have a thing for them ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, we don't all think our husbands are handsome. Maybe you could box up Cade and send him to me?

    Love,
    Lola

    ReplyDelete
  8. When Jennifer Aniston was married to Brad Pitt, she said that her husband was prettier than she was. Cade is indeed gorgeous--but then, so are you. Your kids must all be knockouts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're too funny!! I wouldn't go with an elf warrior...maybe the cover of a movie or something. But, hey, who knows what an elf warrior really looks like anways...

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG....I have been absent forever and have so much to get caught up on!

    ReplyDelete
  11. PS--I was just thinking (don't laugh--it happens) wasn't it either The Scribe or The Hippie who decided that a beautiful baby had to have one ugly parent?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Elisa,
    Yesterday you experienced a treasure trove of memories--some sad, some sweet, all dear. That box is always there for you. As the years pass you will experience even more of life's vicissitudes, with your astounding courage and honesty. Then when may return to Zeke's box, you will find new thoughts that reflect your own growth into the Oneness that connects the two of you and all of us with whom you are sharing your story.

    I am so excited about the release of Zeke's book!

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm still laughing about this picture, and I have the biggest smile on my face after reading these comments.

    Fishducky,
    It was Melynda's daughter Meaghan who said that. (What's funny is the post you referred to is still my #1 most visited post LOL!) I told Meaghan, I felt bad because her theory meant I must be ugly.
    She laughed and said, "Well, maybe there are exceptions."
    I love that kid :0)
    -E

    ReplyDelete
  14. That picture is priceless! I love how my little boy said, "Look at the pretty girl mommy" when he saw it :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Scribe just saw this picture and asked if she can put it on her wall :) Sooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is just so wrong you put this picture up. I hope Cade gets you back good for it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is a brilliant picture. You are an optimist! I bet your book is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yeah, the retaliation might be scary LOL!

    Embarrassing pictures of me--never.

    Embarrassing music videos of me trying to sing like a rock star--I pray they never find them.

    ReplyDelete