Monday, September 17, 2012

Pixies vs. Fairies?

The Hippie cornered me. "I know who the tooth fairy is. I saw--"
    "Shhh," I said. "Don't talk so loud." I had to think fast. She was about to blow my cover.  Then it came to me--the perfect lie.  "Hippie," I whispered. "I've been doing research about the area we live in. Fairies don't live here, only pixies have been sighted. But we can't talk about this too long or too loudly. Pixies are very mischievous. They can change their shape, even look like you, or me.  And they could be anywhere, listening. Now, what were you going to tell me?"
    She gasped. "Well, I thought I saw you taking my tooth, but now I'm not sure. Mom, are you the Tooth Fairy or was it a pixie?"
    "Pixies must live in this area." I shook my head in disbelief. "They're so crafty."
    She nodded before smiling. "I'm so glad you told me all of this."
    "Me too," I said, feeling like a superhero. I might not own a cape, or know how to fly, but I know how to save innocence and keep kids' imaginations alive.  BAM!--take that Batman!