Sunday, February 10, 2013

When I was an Idiot (Part 2)

Here's the second part to my post yesterday: 

     (I hate this story, quite honestly, but I love how I'm still sharing it with you.  Please keep in mind that I was eleven AND I was . . . an idiot.)
    My mom bought me some bras. So, when we prepared to go to church the next day, she told me to wear my bra, knee-high stockings and some deodorant.  But the joke was on her--I didn't wear any deodorant!
    When we got to church early, I slumped next to the alter.  I should have been thinking about God, but instead I thought of itchy breasts.  I cursed my bra then, right in God's presence, because bras were obviously of the devil, just look at this couple:
Photobucket
(Seriously though, I don't know who these people are.)

   Christians flooded into the main room after that.  I stood and watched as my mother sat in the second pew from the front.  I swore everyone looked at me differently.  They knew my secret--I wore a bra--and the knowledge almost killed me.
    Now, the worst thing, the absolute most embarrassing thing, is that until maturation class (which I took shortly after this episode) I seriously thought people had sex with their boobs.  Please forgive me for being crude and under 70, but that's what I thought.  I mean hell, a lot of teens got pregnant and they always seemed to be hugging when I saw them.  I didn't know how it happened, but it seemed reckless and complicated on animal planet.
    Needless-to-say, I hadn't thought too much about boob sex, not until my mom made me wear that bra to church.  I figured it was the first step toward the dark side.  Maybe it meant I was a blossoming young-adult.  If I hugged any young man, it might be the hug of doom.  Did I have to hug him, or hug and fall asleep--I didn't know!  I didn't even like sleeping with stuffed animals anymore, let alone people.
    The pastor's voice suddenly woke me from my thoughts.  "I'd like to share a few announcements before we greet each other, hug and shake hands."
    Hug.  I knew it.  I'd died and gone to Hell.  I had my bra on, I was prime meat.  I couldn't let anyone close.  I'd make a terrible mom. I'd been the one to tie my friend and myself to The Moving Dolly
.  I was the reason we'd crashed at the bottom of the hill.  I was too young for all this stress, too young to hug!
    I nudged my mom; I had to get out of that bra.  If I just took it off, I could go back to being a kid, that carefree one who didn't worry about bras, boob sex or color TV.
    I nudged my mom again.  "I need to use the bathroom," I whispered.
    "Right now?" she asked.
    "Yes, now."
    "Just wait until he let's us greet each other."
    With a hug?  Did she want grandchildren that badly?  Didn't she know, people would probably try hugging her too?  She was walking a very fine line, that woman who smiled at me like she had no idea why I'd turned red.
    "Now, fellow brethren.  Stand and talk in the love of God.  Look at the person next to you.  Hug them and say, 'good morning.'"
    Who was he, Simon Says?  He wasn't the boss of me.  But my mom sure was.  She had me stand up and shake hands. Some homely seventh grader inched closer.  Him and his pimples almost greeted me, when I ran to the bathroom.
    Why is it, that when it rains, it pours?  I went into the bathroom, took off my dress, but couldn't manage to get my bra off.  I tried imagining how people reach behind themselves to unclasp their bras.  I fought with the thing, bumped into walls.  A woman hushed in the stall beside me.  "Is everything okay?" she asked.
    Who was she to judge?  I'd just heard her toot like a fog horn.      

    "I'm fine, just fine."  I pulled my arms out of the straps, and shimmed the vile, lacy thing over my head.  I think it was at this point, that I smelled something.  It wasn't from the do-gooder on my right; it pulsed from my armpits.
    I waited until all the gossipy, fart-loving "women of the church" left the bathroom.  That's when I knew Meet and Greet Time had ended.  

    I put on my bra-less dress and felt alive once again.  My bra and knee-high stockings rested in my left hand.  I figured I'd go without stockings too since I was making a real stand against society.
    I peered around, outside of the bathroom door.  No one was in the hall, no one except the male usher.  I felt safe.  Nobody would come into the bathroom.  I smiled with glee.  Maybe my mom had told me to start wearing girly deodorant.  Maybe she'd forced me to wear stockings and a bra, but I'd proof that woman wrong.  Sure I'd shunned deodorant (a mistake I'd never make again) but I'd get away with it, no matter what!
     I pumped the soap into my hand, smeared it on a paper towel and then used the best deodorant ever known--that cheap pink soap they have in Christian bathrooms.
    I smelled great.  I really did.  The only problem was that pink had stained my white dress, right near my pits.  I scrubbed the dress with water, stood under the dryer and hoped that would help, but nothing took the stains away.  

    I put my arms to my sides and nodded.  If I didn't move my arms, I'd be okay.
    Only one problem remained.  

    I could throw my bra and stockings away, but then my mom would kill me and probably have me buried in a black bra.  I searched the bathroom.  I could hide the things and come back when church ended, but there was no place to hide stuff!  Didn't they know, every bathroom needs a cabinet under the sink?  Then I remembered Mark 4:22, 
    "There's nothing hidden that won't come out into the light."  
    That bathroom decorator had skipped a step.  You can't find something in the light unless it's hidden!
    I peered out the door again.  I had to use plan C, my last resort.  I could put my bra and stockings in between my thighs.  If I walked like Marilyn Monroe, with hips swaying and knees together, I could make it to my mom.  I'd stick the items in her purse (the front zipper she never looked in) and then get them back out before we headed home.
    So, that's what I did.  I stuffed the items in between my thighs and prepared to walk like a runway model to the very front of the congregation.
    "It's wonderful to see you here today." The usher held out his hand to shake mine, but I couldn't move my arms--that meant I couldn't shake hands OR HUG! Ha ha!

   "Everything okay?" he asked as I sauntered a few steps away, arms down to hide the pink stains, hips swaying and knees practically glued together.
    "Oh, everything's great, just great."  I nodded, like a queen of the waddling penguins.
    "Well, the sermon started.  You'll have to walk in while he's talking."
    I wanted to prepare myself a bit more.  It was a long way to the second row, but that stupid usher opened the door and a bunch of people looked back.  I started walking, slowly at first, but then my girly bra and stockings moved and shifted until they bunched up and made me look like I packed a frontal load.  I nearly died, knees still touching, arms down, hands out.  I waddled more, hoping the mass bump in front of my dress would go away and no one would notice.
    "Dear Jesus," I prayed inside.  "I know I suck at being a dainty girl.  I haven't asked you for anything except salvation.  So, can you help me now?"
    That's when one of the bra straps swung down and tickled my ankle.  Maybe God did that since I used the "suck" word. 
I heard an ancient lady giggling about how she remembered being my age.  I turned; it was Old Agnes.  She was ugly and bitter.  I suddenly knew what awaited me in my future if she'd been just like me.  Poor woman, she must have been a beautiful child. And she never slept with her blanket pretty-side up! 
    I  waddled faster after that, and jumped in the seat next to my mom.
    I was even sly enough
, my mom didn't see the strap dangling.  I tucked it under my leg--like a dainty ninja--a Dinja!  After the service ended, I held all the girly crap in my hand and decided to run to the bathroom first chance I got.  Most people had already left and my mom still visited with the piano lady.
    Agnes kept trying to talk to my mom, but thank God, my saint of a mother was too busy laughing about music. Creepy Agnes waited for a while, but finally went away like a bad fart.

    I put all my stuff back on after that, accomplishing the crime of a century.
    We drove home, then I hid all my bras and stockings under my dresser.  I suddenly felt like a spy, the kind who does a bad job at first, but then becomes a Spy Master!  
    I'd tried walking like Marilyn Monroe, but failed miserably, just like a beginner spy would have!
    I still remember laughing as my mom searched for my bras.      

    "That's so weird.  Where did they go?" she asked.  "And do you smell soap?"
    I smiled into my mirror.  Maybe I'd turn into an ugly adult, but at least I'd be a smart one!  
    That's the day I knew I'd become a Dinja.

31 comments:

  1. Elisa - your stories are always to entertaining! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This story had me laughing out loud. The image of you trying to walk like Marilyn Monroe--hips swaping, feet mincing--down that aisle with the bra straps dangling!!!! Priceless. Thanks for this morning's laughter, Elisa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sad thing is I can totally picture the whole thing. lol From the no deodorant, (who hasn't done that?) to the removal and walking down the aisle. You took is a little farther than I would have. I probably would have just shoved them in my undies. I can't wait till you get the Scribe her first bra. Wonder what she's going to do to hide hers. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dinja- Awesome

    There's a chapter in the book Ellen Tebbits by Beverly Clearly that this reminds me of. It's so hard being 11...
    Glad you shared this story with us. It's great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I was praying for you, every awkward step of the way...ha-ha.

    O.k I was laughing at you too, sorry can't help it. Priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the morning giggle!
    http://mamawolfe-living.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I cleaned up the juice and put it aside before I read this. It is a good thing that I did because I was rocking with laughter through the entire piece. i don't even remember my first bra. I think I got one about the same time I started my first period. I was too freaked out about THAT to worry about anything else. kt

    ReplyDelete
  8. My goodness, I nearly got choked as I was drinking my coffee and reading this post. Can't wait to share it with my hubby when he comes back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remembered not to drink or eat anything while reading your blog too. I snorted stuff overmy laptop last time I visited you.
    I was one of those sad girls who didn't need abra until they were 35 years old. I shoved socks down my jumper but forget they needed a bra to hold them in place so they ended up by my waist-I seem to have recreated the same look now but that is even with a bra.
    Got your brilliant photo in my vault ready to post soon for y=the mini skirts competition. Will let you know which day, of course.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bad farts here don't usually go away so easily...they sit and fester and await their next victim who will walk into them and inhale unknowingly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for posting chapter #537 of the continuing soap opera, "It Could Only Happen To Elisa". My bra is in good shape, but you'll have to excuse me while I go change my panties. I think I must have wet them!

    This stuff HAS TO go in a book!! I'm placing my preorder now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dinja...LOL! When I'm good, I'm very good. But when I'm bad I'm better.---Mae West, Now she is the one you should have been aiming for....LOLOLOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are a hoot every day. I can picture you every step of the way. It had to be a man who invented the bra!

    ReplyDelete
  14. To GRANDMA GERTIE--It probaly was a man who invented the bra. I KNOW that a man invented the boob squisher--aka mammogram. Can you even imagine a man putting his privates in a torture device like that?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Did you dream about Rock Hudson in a bra?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I didn't dream about him in a bra yet, but I did almost die laughing when I watched "Pillow Talk" with my girls last night. The part that really got me going was when he thinks he's pregnant. I keep thinking of him in a bra like Madonna would wear.
    Oh, boy LMAO!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, Elisa! Between your thighs? How did you ever get through the service? I am glad I went to use the toilet before I read this.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm a hugger.

    I can't even imagine how many children I'd have by now.

    I'd reckon, they would have had to put me in a straight jacket by the time I was 12.

    ReplyDelete
  19. hilarious post elisa. this one had me ROFL

    ReplyDelete
  20. Firstly, I don't know who those people are either BUT I would like to know how they got ahold of my red bra!?! I never thought of selling my old ones as halloween costumes before...maybe yarmulkas for huge fat Jewish conjoined twins but never halloween costumes!
    This story was absolutely hysterical! I can't wait to read it to my husband, he will be crying with laughter just as much as I was! Hollywood can't even come up with a scenario as wonderfully comedic as that!
    Oh and in response to Grandma Gertie and Fishducky about feminine things that are made my men, how about the Pap Smear?? Can't you just see a couple of male doctors looking at the woman in the stirrups saying, "Well, how are we going to test this area??"
    "I don't know but let's poke it with a stick!"
    Thus a medical 'procedure' is born!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Read it loved it, I want to hear more. Is Cade just reading these stories now or does he already know them? I would love to see his reaction to him reading it for the first time. Good read.

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOL! I remember you telling me about this. It was much funnier watching you giving me a demonstration. Hahahaha. You are so funny. :) Such a cute story...only you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Guilty as charged. I joined your blog the moment I saw the picture on this blog post. Hilarious. Keep it up. :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hah! That was one of the wonderful things about being an 11 yr old boy...we didn't have nearly this deep of thoughts. I mean sixth grade, we were still debating whether Han Solo could take Boba Fett in a fist fight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Dear Dinja, oh the imagination. It's almost scary you have so much. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  26. lol! fun post. And makes me nostalgic -- I didn't know anything about how babies were made probably until around 11 too. Just as I probably still believed in santa clause. Kids now, including mine, grow up way too fast. They're 7 and 9 and don't know it all yet, but will probably figure it out sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh, what a wonderful story, it really captures our thoughts and fears at that age.

    ReplyDelete
  28. OH, Elisa! Your mother was a saint. Has the Scribe started wearing a bra yet? Can't wait to hear about that!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh my gosh! There were seriously SO many lines in this post that had me laughing out loud. I LOVED it!!!

    ReplyDelete