Saturday, February 2, 2013

It's my birthday AND I saw my shadow!

I love my birthday because it's Groundhog's Day.  Like I wrote above, I did see my shadow and (unfortunately) I'm more accurate than any groundhog alive.
     I've had some terrible b-days--like when Zeke died and his viewing fell on my birthdayI thought I'd hate February second forever.  Sweet family members, trying to make my twentieth birthday better, gave me sympathy cards and birthday cards filled with money.  That was very sweet of them to try making a devastating situation better, somehow.
    But I think I've also had the most amazing birthdays.
    Three years ago, after being on bedrest for months, I went into labor on February first and ended up having Doctor Jones thirty minutes before my birthday.  This is quite amazing considering that the Zombie Elf is born on Cade's birthday.
    Anyway, the next morning when I expected a single nurse to come check my blood pressure etc., an entire group of nurses and doctors came in and sang happy birthday.  They bought me a cake, held the baby and gave us special birthday wishes.  It was amazing.  And it taught me two things.

#1
    Strangers:  People can often surprise us, being kind and generous without asking for anything in return

#2
    Life:  Our personal reactions to experiences make us who we are.  But we need to remember, as bad as life gets, it can be the complete opposite--wonderful beyond our dreams


Today is also an awesome day because Cade has a huge, romantic surprise planned for my thirtieth.  I'm dying to know what we'll be doing today.  But nobody will spill the beans!

Also, my newest book went live as an eBook on Amazon today.  Talk about great timing!

21 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to you that i interesting how a couple are the same or close to it. Yeah strangers can be grand and the big 30, hope it is grand in your land!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday! I hope the surprise is simply wonderful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday to you,
    Happy birthday to you,
    Happy birthday dear Elisa,
    Happy birthday to you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a great birthday!! My youngest daughter's birthday is today too!!! Hope it is an awesome one!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a wonderful birthday, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday, Middle Child. I love the cover of the book.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday. I hope that all your happy dreams become realities.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday! It sounds like it will be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday! I hope you have a fantastic day.

    And belated Happy Birthday to Doctor Jones.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday to you and to Dr. Jones. How great is that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday! Enjoy your 30's! You are laying the foundation for your future. My friends baked me a black cake on my 30th! All good fun. I turn 66 this April, but I fondly remember.
    Some of my most precious moments in life came from strangers. I think of them as my angels and spiritual "team mates". Be open to Love from any and all sources.
    Have a great 30th, or extended 29th :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday. That is a heart warming story with the doctors and nurses taking time to celebrate your birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yayyyy for amazing birthday surprises! Especially when they're from our most favorite people! I hope you've had an amazing birthday and I also hope you'll share what the surprise was.
    Huge congratulations on the release of your latest book! I'm way behind but I'm going to read them all!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy 30th Birthday. Enjoy your surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Closing in on the end of the day here. I hope it was an awesome birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Elisa, it took me many years longer than you are old to discover that we can choose how we can respond, as opposed to react, to the vagaries of life. I may not like something or someone, but I can choose how to respond so as not to do damage to my own inner self. You've learned that as a "youngster of 30!!!!!" The road ahead for you may be filled with bumps as well as wide vistas, but your heart is already as wide and open as the blue ocean. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Belated Birthday!! I hope your big surprise from Cade is wonderful and you don't have to 'throw the book at him' ;) hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on the new e-book and Happy Birthday! One of my friends has her birthday on Feb. 2nd and has always wanted to go to Groundhog's Day, so we went this year! They give out cake, punch and a little gift to anyone who has their birthday on Groundhog's Day. We had a great time! You should try to go one year. Let us know what your hubby did for your Bday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That must have been some "Elisa" party. You have needed four days to recover and keep us in suspense. Haha.

    ReplyDelete