Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Unemployment and the stages of grief

Yesterday I lost my job. It was a corporate take over which rarely turns out well for management.
Anyway, after I got home, I immediately went through the 5 stages of grief.


DENIAL
    "This is just a thing," I told Mike.  "Blip!"
    "Yeah. They'll probably call you tomorrow and say they want you to come back...because they decided you're necessary."

ANGER
    "What the heck!  You know they aren't going to call.  Why are you suddenly joining me in my denial?!  That's not what I need.  I don't need that. I don't need this!  Who wants to run a newspaper anyway?!  Not me. Not my children...  Not even my granchildren's grandchildren!"  Then I glared at my husband like he was the one who laid me off!!!

BARGAINING
    "There has to be something you can do," he said.
    "You're right! I'll put on my best business dress and tell them I can do anything! They want toilets washed--that's perfect! They want coffee--I'm their girl."
    "Yeah, 'cause that's not extreme.  Elisa, you're not the janitor."
    "Yeah, but maybe I can be.  Let's do this!!! I'll become humble AND a surviver.  God is gonna love this plan!"
    "Ummm.  Yeah, about that plan..."

DEPRESSION
    Mike looked at me and held out his arms.
"Ahhhhhhhhh..." I wailed like I'd just lost my uterus and all of my normal hormones.  "Not to be dramatic, but I'm going to die...."

WINE
    And after crying so much I'll be dehydrated for a year, I wiped my eyes and did the first thing I could think of.  I drank two HUGE glasses of wine.  So it's not quite acceptance, but it's the next best thing.

Anyone looking for a writer who's now on the market.  Anyone...?  Anyone?  Damn it!  Back to my wine *smiling through tears*
 -A very dramatic (for today at least) Elisa  *Can someone please give me my uterus back!!!



6 comments:

  1. Wine with friends is the next step... come on over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Losing a job is emotional and some find it harder to deal with then others

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading this. I'm sure things will get better. I just need to find a new dream :)

      Delete
  3. Elisa, you're one of the strongest women I know. You've gone through so much in your life, I think this, compared to everything else, is just a minor setback. If there's anyone who can survive a thing like this, it's definitely you! You'll find a way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baiba! It's so awesome to hear from you. I love seeing your pictures and how much you've done with your life :)

      Delete