Monday, November 26, 2012

I Sewed THROUGH my finger: a funny Christmas Story

On Thanksgiving I sewed straight through my middle finger with my Bernina heavy-duty stitcher.  As the needle went through the second time, I pulled and the needle broke off.  Yeah . . . it wasn't fun.  But it's better than cutting a finger in half on a table saw--which I've also done.  Plus, it reminded me of my most hilarious Christmas moment and WHY I hate sewing.
 _____________________________________________
    To refresh your memory, I used to have a sewing business--one of the biggest of its kind on ebay.  I had over 500 customs outfits for sale at once.
    Here are some of the many sets I used to make.
Photobucket
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket 

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
I also specialized in funky appliques that people could design themselves.  
For example: two years ago a lady requested a pink-Christmas--zebra--Gingerbread Girl. That was a tough one! But here's what I came up with:
Photobucket 
 
 
So you get the point. I was in business for six years, and I sewed A LOT. 
    Well, my funniest Christmas experience happened after a woman from Israel ordered this outfit.
Photobucket 
 
    "For a little girl dressed as a bride?" the email simply said.  
    "Sure." I responded.  "This could work as a bride costume."
    She immediately sent the payment and the language barrier continued.   I meticulously deciphered each email and I'm sure she did the same.  Things went well that first day.
    Too bad I had no idea what waited in the future.  It still makes me laugh so hard I could cry.
    To be continued tomorrow. . . .

13 comments:

  1. Geez leaving off at a cliffhanger, but I suppose you have to rest that finger haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. EEEEOWWWW! I'd still be in shock if that happened to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BEAUTIFUL CLOTHES--but another damn cliffhanger!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know your pain! I sewed my finger right through the fingernail into the bone...then the machine jammed and I couldn't get my finger out, so I had to pull until the needle snapped and then I could slide my finger out...with the needle still in my finger...that really hurt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Elisa, you's hooked me! I'll be back to find out more about the Israeli order. But oh, I'm sorry to learn tha tyou sewed your finger. How often did you do that when you had your sewing business? Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never sewed through my finger before lol Isn't that such crazy luck?

      Delete
  6. Ewww, poor finger, but you're blessed to have a Bernina! Your outfits are exquisite. I also want to know more about the Israeli order.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh -- and to think you hate sewing. What would you have come up with if you'd liked it! Looking forward to the next instalment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so impressed. When our kids were little all their Halloween costumes were cobbled together with Stitch Witch. Although I can't sew a whit, I wield a mean iron!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, it's hard to wait for to be continued. I hope your finger has recovered. My mom told us the story of sewing through her finger for her entire life. Obviously, it was a memorable experience.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely pictures! I am so afraid of machines and the thought of them taking any of my fingers..LOL, you are talented and brave to face the sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ouch on the finger! Even reading that hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG, I have a bad feeling about this already...

    ReplyDelete