Thursday, November 22, 2012

A Thanksgiving Prayer: Part 2

    This is a continuation from yesterday's post.  
To recap:
    I bought a fancy necklace for my grandma's viewing but while getting ready, I realized it had vanished.
     "Time to go," Cade said, breaking through my thoughts.
     I sniffled, wiped my eyes and decided to be strong, necklace or not, I'd be tough. My grandma always saw the best in things.  Maybe losing the necklace was meant to test my spirit.
    Little did I know, she'd planned a miracle.  A sign that she was watching out for me.  And it all revolved around the necklace.



 
Grandma Beth 
    She was the only grandma I had--and she was amazing.  Sometimes I'd imagine what my other grandma would be like if I could pick her.  She'd be wonderful too--if she existed somewhere. 
    Too bad I thought she didn't, because when my only grandma passed, it was terribly lonely.
    How do relationships begin?  When you meet someone do you instantly know they'll change your life?  Become like family?  Be the person you'd once hoped to meet?  It's fascinating, really.  There can be two people, miles apart, destined to meet each other somehow.  Yet how many times will they cross paths until they finally understand? 
    After my grandma's death, I would often think of her words to me.  "Everyone deserves two sets of grandparents.  And if you prayed for your other grandma, maybe you'll be surprised with what God might bring your way." 
    Those words made me smile. I remembered being in junior high.  Everything was so dramatic.  And I'd imagine if I had another grandma, how she'd be more like me than anyone I knew.  We could talk about everything.  Maybe she'd even have a religious background.  Of course she'd laugh a lot and love animals.  She wouldn't take Grandma Beth's place, no, she'd have her own special place in my life--if I could just find her.
    Four years passed after Grandma Beth died.  I told my daughters about my silly childhood imaginings about another grandma.  "Can you believe someone like that could exist?  She's too perfect."
    "Maybe," the Scribe said.  "Stranger things have happened."
    "Yeah, like how my necklace went missing at Grandma's funeral.  Now that was strange."
    As time went on, I forgot about the necklace and my imagined grandmother.  I focused on being a decent wife, and mom who didn't ALWAYS burn dinner. I also vowed to somehow share Zeke's story with the world.  That's when I started blogging.
    It happened slowly at first, but I had some success.  I met people and finally connected with others.  We became good friends, reading each other's blogs and celebrating in each other's lives.  Zeke's story really took off.  With everyone's help, more readers started learning about my baby's life and how he made me a better person.  That year all of us bloggers shared our lives through our words, our joys and sorrows.  Then as time passed, something happened.  Many of you started feeling like family to me.  
    It wasn't until recently, that I realized I met people who resembled aspects of my dream grandmother.  She wasn't just someone I'd hoped to meet, but someone I'd hoped would actually exist in our world.  Because people like her would make this world a better place.  She would be a sign that humanity isn't too far gone.  Yes, there are people who abandon kids to join the carnival.  But there are others--in our dreams--who shine with so much goodness.  And I see that goodness in all of you.
    One person, in particular, has shown me so much kindness this year.  I thought of her and nearly cried because I'm so thankful and blessed to have her in my life.  As I thought of her, I cleaned the Hippie's closet.  My hand fell across something pointy and cold.  My fingers gently closed around the object and I held it near my face.  While blowing the dust from the green necklace I'd lost before my grandma's viewing--five years before--a lump caught in my throat. 
    I thought of my sole grandmother--the one who always wanted the best for me.  I thought of my dream grandmother--the one I finally found.  And I cried.  

    The rediscovered necklace was a sign to me.  Goodness existsMy grandma is watching out for me, just like she always did.  And miracles can still happen.  
    Maybe good things are out there waiting for each of us to find them--just like that necklace waited for me.
necklace 





    This Thanksgiving, please know how very thankful I am for all of you.

9 comments:

  1. Yeah there is still good out there, it is interesting the relationships we develop out of random acts or just out of the blue too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mom,
    i really like the post and i love you i didn't know how close you were with your grandma
    Love,
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Ruby,

      I like the comment you wrote to your mom.

      I love you and Sky and Trey and Indie. Happy Thanksgiving!

      Love,
      Janie

      Delete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving to you & your whole family--including ALL your Grandmas--from one of your Grandmas!!

    I think it's sweet that Ruby posted here & in Dee's blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Elisa, you are so dear. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely post. I hoped you would become part of my life when I found your blog because I couldn't believe you had my grandmother's name. Now you are so dear to my heart. Happy Thanksgiving.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Bubba lived with us and when she passed so did a lot of my early memories. My grandmother lived in Pittsburgh and I did get to see her but I never had grandfathers near me. I adopted the man who raised my first poodle as Grandpop Don and loved him until the day I found out he died. I believe that you can find what you need when you least expect to. Hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  7. so beautiful the words you share, as id the beauty in your heart. Happy thanks giving to your family and friends. Thank you for sharing this dear story. You have become a part of my life by sharing your wonderful stories. god bless you angel. xoxooxox hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Connection to family is so important. I have a few pieces that belonged to my mom that I wear on special times when I want to feel close to her.

    ReplyDelete