Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Some Motivation and a Mentor

    I won't sit here and lie to you, not today.  I've been having a hard time since some obstacles popped up in my life.  I didn't know if I'd keep writing.  But all along the way little miracles have happened to show me that I'm meant to keep going.
    Let me back up though, you need to read this from the beginning. . . . 
    I've had a friend for many years who hasn't been very nice to me.  I've told her and myself this, yet still I manage to revert back into old high school habits and get hurt again.  I love this girl and so I end up giving her limitless chances.  But in return she proves that she doesn't really like me.  She says mean things when I succeed and gloats when I fail.  Sadly, I just want her to like me even though it's been like this since we were little girls.
    Anyway, she had me so depressed about my writing and myself, I thought about giving up.  I know it sounds stupid.  I've come so far and all that jazz, but in moments like this--when someone who's known me forever--someone who might know me better than I know myself says I'm "not good," then maybe it's time to stop.
    That's when I met Adrienne deWolfe.  Now I'm not sure if you've heard of her, but if you haven't you need to check her out.  Not only is she a best-selling author AND award winner, she's a a Book Writing Coach.  Click HERE to see what I'm talking about.
    Well, I had the chance to have her look at the first chapter of "Homeless in Hawaii."  The things she noticed amazed me.  I learned so much in a short time, but one main thing--something especially meant for me was what she said about motivation.
     "Goal, motivation and conflict can make your characters come to life."
     I sat thinking about the kindness Adrienne deWolfe showed to me.  I thought about all of her words as I opened the final revisions for Crazy Life of a Writing Mom.  That's when my eyes fell on the story about my hurtful friend.  I took Adrienne's advice and began highlighting different aspects of the chapter.  What were my friend's conflicts?  What were her smaller motivations and overall goals?  I stopped at the end of the chapter and had tears in my eyes.  How could I have been so stupid?  My friend had done everything for a reason.  It didn't make her words better or right, but it gave me understanding and taught me a good lesson.  This isn't my problem.  The way she's acting has nothing to do with me--it was as plain as day highlighted right in front of me. 
    Coming from a writer's standpoint, clearly displaying motivation in your writing is a key factor, but clearly understanding it IN LIFE can be even more important.
    Isn't it cool how writing has helped me?  I don't want to be close friends with that girl anymore, not until she can handle her problems another way.  I don't need to be her victim so she can feel important.  Plus, there are better ways to handle problems like by drinking rum . . . coke--maybe even both mixed together.  Or simply by writing out problems and seeing what shows up after careful observation.
    Thank you, Adrienne for teaching me something I'll never forget.  I was able to go back through all of the things I've been working on to implement your helpful tips.  And you were so right, my characters--even the real-life ones--went from two-dimensional to three-dimensional people after making sure I'd shown their motivation to the reader.
 
    Here's a picture the Scribe took of me holding one of Adrienne's books.  
Photobucket
I LOVE this novel, but Texas Outlaw is actually my favorite. Oh and if you click on the picture, you can see where Adrienne deWolfe put this photo on her site!  How nice is that?!

    In closing, Crazy Life of a Writing Mom will be out soon and I'm offering free eBooks to anyone willing to review it on Amazon and Goodreads.  
Photobucket
    It's a silly book including some of my favorite stories like "The Clap," "Miss Priss and the Wave" along with "I Left the Bag in the Turkey."  I hope you'll love the book if you have time to check it out.  If you'd like to review it, please email me at ecboutique05@gmail.com
    Also, McGuffy Ann and Janie just posted reviews for Bible Girl & the Bad BoyYou can read those at the following links:

 
Have a wonderful day!