Monday, August 19, 2024

She Has Beautiful Eyes


 “She has the most beautiful eyes,” I said about a stranger at the diner. 


“You should tell her,” Candy responded.


“I can’t,” I whispered. “That’s embarassing.”


But Candy ignored my statement. “My friend was just saying the sweetest thing about you.”


The older woman stopped and leaned down.


“I said... you have the most beautiful eyes. In fact, YOU are beautiful.”


The woman’s bottom lip quivered, and she appeared completely dumbfounded while the elderly man, who I assumed was her husband, sat down at another booth.


“I’ve never had anyone tell me I’m beautiful, and I’m in my late 80s,” the woman said.


After the woman took her seat, she was all Candy and I could talk about. “She deserves all the kindness in the world.”


I nodded in agreement. “You know. I wish I would’ve told her right away how beautiful she is. Something so simple, so easily given, brightened her day. I guess today I was just tired.”


“Well, when it mattered, you did make her day better. And I bet it’ll come back around.”


If karma helped anyone, it should’ve come to Candy. But honestly, I don’t know what to believe about things like fate and karma. 


Long after my friend returned to Utah, I remembered her words: “It’ll come back around.” That’s about the time something very strange happened.


I found myself at the same diner, but I sat with Mike this time. We both enjoyed a cup of coffee and laughed about life when someone tapped on my shoulder. The stranger must’ve been in his 80s or 90s, and his eyes twinkled when he spoke. “I have something for you,” he said and handed me a toy from the vending machine. I turned and realized he’d just been stocking the machines at the end of the diner, and although other patrons filled the store, for some reason he picked me. 


“Thank you so much!” I said, opening the plastic container that held a mini-deck of cards.


He went to leave, then turned around slowly. “You know,” he leaned down, “you have beautiful eyes.”


Although Mike dismissed this as coincidence, I couldn’t believe the irony. And even though Mike proceeded to beat me at every card game we played that day, I could not quit smiling.

#ecstilson #randomactofkindness #cardgames #minideckofcards

1 comment: