Monday, May 25, 2020

Someone Compared Me . . . to a Tool!

Writing has shown me a lot about myself.  Sometimes the topics that come to my mind are hilariously stupid.  

Yesterday, one such topic hit me.  I sat thinking about the greatest compliment I've ever received.


This is actually a tough question.  What is the greatest compliment you've ever received?

I thought about it all day.

Would it be that someone said I'm a good mother . . .
 no.

When Mike said I'm a great wife . . .
I LOVED that—but no, not that either.

When someone said I'm more stubborn than a  mule? 
Nope!


What about limitless faith. . .
nope.


Then it hit me!  The greatest compliment I ever received was when someone said I'm better than MacGyver!


Before stating the obvious--that this picture doesn't have a great title--sit back down and read on.
On a side note: Can you believe they actually used this for an ad anyway?  "The only tool you'll ever need!"  They called my hero . . . a tool!  What jerks.

The person said I was better than MacGyver because of this set:


Yes, the model (the Hippie when she was little) is wearing a stylish gypsy outfit, and YES, those are pantyhose that I cut the crotch and feet out of.  MacGyver--not quite, but resourceful--maybe.


So, I thought about the answer to my own question.  Why is this so important to me?  Why did that "MacGyver comment" mean so much?  I finally decided.  It's because I want to be useful.

When everything else falls to crap, I want to stand at the end of the apocalypse.  I'll traipse from the flaming destruction and think I did my best to survive--because I pulled a MacGyver.

Right now a lot of things are up in the air for me. I’m toying with the idea of starting up my old sewing business, even thinking of filming instructional videos. I’m two chapters away from finishing a new novel. And I still can’t figure out what I want. Despite ALL OF THAT, I know everything will work out because someone compared me to a tool and God is watching out for all of us.

It reminds me of when Zeke died.  I couldn't breathe, my brain went fuzzy a lot and if it wasn't for my journal who knows how much of the experience I'd really remember.  But reading back through my words, I think I made it through all right.  I had an awesome God who'll never leave me, and a positive outlook just like MacGyver.

I am really curious, what is the best compliment you have ever received? Does it relate to what is— or you would like to be—your best quality?

15 comments:

  1. OMG, this blog makes me laugh every day! Your post titles are great!

    That excerpt from your book is interesting. I like how you've created a "different kind of nerd." It made me want to keep reading, so I'd say keep going with it for sure!

    I think the best compliment anyone has ever given me actually came from two people. On separate occasions, two vets told me I was the best caregiver any cat could ever ask for. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, now we're cookin'!!!! This is a fantastic character and concept -- and I honestly feel you could have something here.

    ONE of the best compliments I ever received, but not THE best: the mother of my college roommate said I had a face like a pansy. This pansy face is getting wrinkled, but them's the breaks.

    Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry your little girl and the play date (bully) aren't getting along anymore. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I certainly enjoyed the laughs I got from reading your post today. A compliment, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved your post. In fact, if I don't read your post everyday, it seems like something is missing in my life. No stalking, but you make me smile. I love the clothes you make, and the stories about your Hippie, Scribe, etc.
    I am going to be a dead-zone for a while, with regards to internet access. Will miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! Now I just want to read more. So I am hoping you are going to give us more excerpts. I love it when my husband says how much he admires my compassion for others and that I work hard to be a good Christian.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's gonna be interesting and good like everything you do. Keep going and see where it leads you. As for the greatest compliment I have gotten? I usually get pretty interesting insults not copliments lol But when you called me the blog master that was pretty close to the best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Actually alot of people do use randomly opening pages of books to answer questions. I use the book The prophet, the answers I get amazes me every time. Have you ever tried it? Your character reminds me of Carrie from Stephen Kings novel. I love the way the way you write so I am sure whatever way you go it will be great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mouse is now messed up too so don't pay attention to all the stupid errors you see in my posts. Oh, BTW...on another note, I am not a robot, just blind from sitting to much in the dark. What? You are probably asking yourself. Having to retype in the dark because of my stupid mouse sabotaging me and then having to deal with word verification several times is a challenge, I turned mine off. It is only there to keep away robots :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very good idea, can't wait to see where it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You come up with so many great ideas for posts... always look forward to reading your blog and thank you so much for all your kind comments on my blog xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your excerpt from the book sounds really great. I have received only one compliment from people and that is "I'm a book junkie." But fro me it's not the best compliment.
    Thanks for following my blog.
    I'm following back.
    кєяo's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you sooo much ;)

    Susan-
    I'll miss you. I LOVE reading your blog!

    Siv Maria-
    I just had to get a new mouse. So fun LOL!
    I should turn off my verification :0)

    -Elisa

    ReplyDelete
  14. A bloody good post, funny indeed and a giggle is good

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really enjoyed this! For me, I guess it would have been, "You're a Christian, right?"

    ReplyDelete