Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Are You Living a Life of Substance?


 I had the strangest thing just happen. I woke up hearing the oncologist’s voice as he diagnosed me with terminal cancer and gave me two years to live. 


After he left, I looked out the hospital window and just thought, “I’m tired of living in fear and regret and dealing with so much guilt.” 


I suddenly felt exhausted from trying to accomplish things so people would be proud of me. My gosh, I wrote ten books in less than ten years. I became a physician liaison for the biggest hospital in southeastern Idaho. I worked as a publisher for a newspaper—and it STILL wasn’t enough. Like trying to fill a bucket with a hole in it, no matter how much I put in there, it eventually ended up empty and dry.


At the end of my life, when I looked back, the only thing that really mattered was making a positive difference for the people I love. My so-called accomplishments, degrees, and careers all came up short. So, I wanted to make a change with the time I had left. And it wasn’t about me; life became about bettering the lives of those around me.


Whether my soul went on after death or ceased to exist, it no longer mattered anymore. What felt important was if my memory would remain with the people I care about. 


I wanted to ask you: Are you living the life that you really want? I’m not talking about quitting your job so you can move to the beach and surf all day; I’m talking about living a life of substance… of purpose. Or are you doing what I did: Searching for significance in all of the wrong places? Striving to fill your soul but getting stuck in monotony and forgetting that each day is a gift?


I hate to write this, but I do have terminal cancer. I’m fighting. Every single morning is a struggle to get up. It’s a struggle to go out. But I’m grateful because the fact that I’m struggling means I’m still alive.


If you’re reading this post, I hope you’ll take a minute to remember how lucky we are to have consciousness and the ability to even make choices. It’s vital that we recognize one simple truth: Our quality of life hinges on perspective AND attitude. Positivity can be an immense beacon in the darkness. Search for it and embody it.


So, even though life can be tough and I’m often in pain from the tumors in my bones, I’m grateful that I’m still alive—longer than doctors predicted! 


I’m going to enjoy today with my husband and my kids. Some days I can hardly believe that G-d decided to make me. He made all of us—and I don’t think we should take His handiwork for granted. Despite cancer and hardships, there are so many good things too. 


I… really am the luckiest.

4 comments:

  1. Hello, its not too late to change to an anti-cancer diet. Also the surgery would have been unecessary https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qgNzszTN6NY. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. New today PBS https://www.npr.org/2024/02/17/1232247301/melanoma-fda-approves-first-cell-therapy-skin-cancer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello i lost 3 mothers to this so i do not want any more good people dying from this.Please search ? Dr Barbara Oneill and using castor oil and how tumours shrink and disappear when the outside of the body has castor oil on a towel soaked right through it amd on that for 4-5 hours at a time and 5 days/nights a week. Barbara is head of Urology in Auckland University

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, are you going to check out this commenter’s referral to Dr Barbara Oneill’s protocol, since you’ve been given her location & position as head of Urology at Auckland University?

      Delete